The Old and the New
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Old and the New

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED*

+4
JulianJ
Granny
AshleyJane
TacticalBacon
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:54 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Heres an idea; it sort of goes along with the previous idea of more DMs.

But lets say theres like 5 people who are bored and want to do something, and none of those people are one of our current DMs. Right now, they wouldn't be able to do anything due to the lack of DM, and that kinda sucks a little, because then they just sit there for the rest of the day bored, waiting to see when the next official meet is.

Heres that scenario again, with my idea. These people want to get together, again no DM, but with my idea, they would be able to meet together and have an amateur DM. Their adventure would not affect the official storyline were currently on, we could say the events of unofficial meets occur in the past, thus not interfering with a current storyline.

This would allow for people to meet as they pleased and further progress their characters. The events of the meets could be posted here so that perhaps the DMs could work in one of the deeds done in the "past" unofficial meets into the current story.

Just a simple idea.

Last edited by TacticalBacon on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

2"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:20 pm

AshleyJane

AshleyJane

I very much enjoy this idea.

http://darkbluemidnight.deviantart.com

3"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Granny

Granny
Town Lunatic

Yes! I also like this.

4"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 pm

JulianJ

Let us now pray that our glorious dms allow this awsome idea offered.

5"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Not to mention, as the amateurs DM more unofficial meets, they'll gain vital experience and perhaps that could lead to them DMing meets that go by the storyline we're currently going on, thus taking a load off our current ones.

6"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

i like this, a lot. i hope they approve of this

7"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm

I have a huge load of projects popping into my head with the lack of meets and DM's. Adam and I would enjoy if we could get an experienced player to amature DM out here or at least help us because of the issues with DM's not replying in person or online. The current DM's seem too outstretched to cover everyone and building DM'ing experience off dice-rolled adventures might aid the big DM's on planned meets too.

8"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 pm

brettward

brettward

the only problem i see is trying to work what happens at the "unofficial" meets into the current story that everett and jake are working on.

9"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:36 pm

That's definently a good idea. With a smaller amount of people these meets could definently provide some time for more logical character development. Andrew was saying to me that meets like these could be held a couple of times a week and I think it would give a lot of other people chances to dm.

10"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 pm

It wouldn't affect current plots if they are side adventures for fun.

I also can host groups of 3 to 8 people. My dad used to DM. If we could get someone to update him to 2.5 rules, my friends say they love my dad. Maybe you guys would too.

11"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Roll-o-Bot

Roll-o-Bot

I would be ok with this but there would be a few rules so nothing crazy and world changing happens. Because of the fact you guys want there events to be in the past then they could VERY easily change what we are doing now. Stuff happening in the past can change the future in to many ways. Also some people are already n a mission for example the people in the desert, I don't want there characters doing something in the past and future at the same time. i would be confusing very, very, confusing.

So that being said my rules for meets like this would be as fallows:
1. No exp is gained/ lost
2. These meets are only for fun and pratice for the DM to be.
3. No items that are gotten from these modules are to be brought into the main story or recorded on your characters sheet.
4. No one can DIE EVER!
5. Must tell a real DM you plan for action for the meet before it happens.

There are the rules I want to be set in place and are my idea of the only way I could see this working. I would like these rules to be in place because there would only be pratice meets nothing is to be gotten of lost form these meets. This is because if you got something in the past it could 100% change everything we have ever done. Also certin stuff is not given out by the DM's for a reason and some stuff is changed for a reason that is the reason for rule #5.

If you have any questions please ask.

12"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

HEY! These shouldn't be in the past and if they don't affect the DM plots, why should it make a difference?

And why can't we earn a few hundred xp?

13"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:51 pm

Roll-o-Bot

Roll-o-Bot

The exp is because characters can't level out of now where our during a main quest line if there on one. for example the people in the desert. Gaining a few hundred exp cold make them level when there still traveling. Also it matters because if we are going to let them DM we should teach them the right way to do it.

14"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:57 pm

brettward

brettward

I think we should figure how many people want to learn how DM if we're goign to do these meets so that we could cycle through the DMs and everyone who wants to gets a chance to DM.

15"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Roll-o-Bot

Roll-o-Bot

I think Jake and I should make a application lol

16"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:04 pm

JulianJ

I'm cool with those rules.

17"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Over here, we are trying to have dice-decided fun adventures that have no corralation to the timeline like comics to a TV show. No items, and I guess no xp.

BUT! The life in Basala and the plots are a soap opra. Meets are too enificient and DM's too scarce. Things are already not being done right. We want to make a sub-meet as soon possible and could use a DM there to teach the amature DM what to do. My dad was a DM and only needs to be updated to be able to watch our sub-meets from there.

There has to be some improvement and small groups to discuss and have fun could be key to figuring this stagnation out.

We need 1 DM 1 time.

Last edited by DrewTherrien9 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

18"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 pm

I agree that the people who are already busy with a quest like the desert should not be able to play or gain xp since their characters are else where. And i agree that we shouldnt gain items there. I understand why you dont want us to gain xp but it would be nice to gain it. The one thing I think we should be able to gain is gold as long as it isnt to much.

19"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Eh, I think you're looking at the "events occur in the past" too literally.

We're playing D&D and the law of paradoxical time travel doesn't apply.

Honestly though, I disagree that characters should not gain exp or things like that. Its not like your character goes "Oh, I just leveled up!" In the middle of the desert. Really the only effect your character would notice would be the gaining of a new spell.

And wouldn't you know it, were in the middle of the desert with nothing to do all night, so you could just role-play them studying a new spell if they were to level.

Having an adventure occur on a separate timeline would not mess up the current gameplay. The term "in the past" is not meant to be take to that high of a literal standard. These events just occur at a different point in time, it is not defined, thus events cannot affect the present.

Sure, if you kill a shopkeeper in one of these meets, he'll stay dead in the present, but you're not altering the course of time, you're just killing someone off, something that can occur in any other meet anyways.

Yes of course, everyone will be protected from death, that makes logical sense.

And as for the informing the real DMs to your plan before the meet, I feel that is unnecessary, because I am drawn to believe you wanted us to ask you guys so you could make sure it wont fuck anything up in the present, which I have already said is impossible. If I'm wrong, correct me.

20"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Um.. Don't kill anyone in Basala Stu! I sell my fur to the shopkeeper.

Agreed that Everett doesn't need to worry.

Also for the amount of free time we have, you guys shouldn't be seeing a need to focus on the past. Plus, if we can adventure ourselves out, people can sleep during character development at meets without feeling a loss that there was no excitement for them, and get on with their bloodlust when that part comes without feeling drained of youth.

We are DICE-ROLLONG THE PLOT!!! Please READ THAT!!!
A DM only has to come once to update our ancient DM so the amature DM's don't fuck up...

21"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 am

Jake

Jake
Truant Thief

If role-played well, yes, it could make sense, however, personally, I'm not too sold on the idea of items carrying over.

I know this is D&D, and we don't necessarily have to worry about time paradoxes, but I'd still rather things make sense.

If Daest is a poor hobo present day, he can't all of a sudden have money that he's always had bedcause of these meets in the past.

Same goes for items and such. If Daest got a sword that set itself on fire in one of these meets in the past, he can't all of a sudden have it in the next official meet, because he didn't have it before the past meet. Maybe he could've left it with someone, and it would be a quest to get it back, but he can't all of a sudden have it. There would have to be a reason for why he had it then and doesn't have it now, and a reason for him to get it back.

And informing the DM's about what you're planning on doing could be helpful for us sometimes. I mean, if an official DM isn't going to be there anyways, why not tell them?

And PS, Drew if you're going to Edit your posts that thoroughly, please put something like "EDIT: asdfklsaf". It just makes it easier to notice that you've altered your post.

22"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 am

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

That is understandable yes, however I wasn't planning on the meets giving everyone massive amounts of gold or super items. Just a little gold and maybe a simple item or two, its not going to be major.

Nothing game-changing. I just don't think the meets should be without reward, otherwise whats the point, ya know?

23"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 am

Jake

Jake
Truant Thief

Doesn't sound too bad, but I think me and Everett'll have to talk about it either way.

24"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:22 am

Aye. I will label my edits and rules will be followed. But seriously, the DM who is at the first sub-meet will set the precedents for the future.

I wasn't here before Basala. I don't know anything about planning. You got to talk to Adam about writing an outline..

I think magical items would be bad..

EDIT: And different people might play differently together.
EDIT: Example-Andrew, Adam, Steve might be a bloodthirsty do-gooder squad..
EDIT: Ashley and Tom might have drama or Tom could leave a trail of sheer destruction.

25"Unofficial" meets  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: "Unofficial" meets *DEPRECIATED* Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 am

Granny

Granny
Town Lunatic

What if, instead od these meets taking place in the past, they took place in the future? The outcomes of these meets could be witheld until an official module is over and anything that happened at these meets could go into effect once an official plot is finished. Hopefully, this would eliminate any continuity problems. My mind is a bit scattered right now, so this may be too complicated or something, but I'm jsut throwing ideas out there. Just trying to contribute.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum