The Old and the New
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Old and the New

You are not connected. Please login or register

My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED*

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:48 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

So yesterday was my first major module as DM, and I hope all of you had an enjoyable experience. That was a little taste of what my meets will be like, other ones will have more opportunities to break away from the path you are given, but seeing as this module was one where you were suppose to feel helpless, I could not allow that.

Those of you who are good friends with me know I am a very, very creative person. I like to make creative scenarios, invent creative solutions, all that kind of stuff. Mainly, I like to create items that have interesting and unique effects. Players will get these items by being active in the game, exploring the world I present you with, and just being observant. Hell, sometimes it will be just dumb luck. If you see other people getting all these special items and you have gotten one, don't sweat it. You will get one eventually, I am not leaving you out in the dust.

In the last module, the journal that Dahlia picked up stayed with her after you escaped the labyrinth. This book is now The Soul Lock Journal. She may trap one creature within its pages. It must either be released in 24 hours to fight it, or she must tear the page (or pages) that the creature takes up and burn them to destroy it. The book only has 50 pages, and the more powerful the monster, the more pages it takes up, so it may not be in her best interest to burn half her book just to kill one foe. Yes, player characters can be put in the book, they will take up more than one page depending on the level. And yes, they can be burned in the same fashion as any other monster. I sense incoming butthurt, but thats the way it is, and you will get your turn to have a unique item like this down the road.

These two have simpler effects because they were received on pure luck/bought. You will find the most powerful items will be earned.

Mots received Blade of the Other World in the mini module before the horror mod. It allows her to take control of another persons familiar for 1d4 turns.

Jake's werewolf (Forgot the name, sorry) Received an unnamed curved sword with thorns jutting out of the blade, it causes an attacked foe to bleed for 1d4 damage every turn for three turns.

Those are just three examples of the kind of things I like to create. You'll see more of them soon enough.

You will see that also goes the other way, if bad things happen, your characters may suffer interesting penalties. Like if your group is nearly killed by spiders, I may have a few of you gain arachnophobia as a result. Just to add a bit of flavor to our world.

If you don't like this, say so here. If you do like it, also say so here.

Last edited by TacticalBacon on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

2My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 pm

AshleyJane

AshleyJane

I think you're a genius.

http://darkbluemidnight.deviantart.com

3My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

I wish I could have gone.... I hate my dad right now because he made me miss it.

4My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Well you're in luck. It's looking more and more like I am going to be the only active DM for a long long time, so you'll get plenty of modules from yours truly. As well as many chances at all the fun, exciting, humorous, and occasionally overpowered items!

5My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

Yay! The last meet, everyone made it sound like it was the best thing ever. I was pissed that I had to miss it. Plus I really wanted to use Nightfall in battle.

6My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Luckily there was no battles at all in that meet. It was all just crazy hallucinations and confusion, creepy notes and hall ways, and all that sorta thing, my other modules will have more combat, excitement, and creative freedom.

7My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

Sounds good. I like all that stuff. I plan on not missing anymore.

8My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Granny

Granny
Town Lunatic

Agreed. I totally love how in depth your DMing is.

9My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Exonfang (BANNED)

Exonfang (BANNED)

Would you be open to me giving you suggestions and themes for a modual based on Lor'adal's storyline? Obviously I wouldn't be able to participate, but I could attend and help you DM because it would be highly based on Lor'adal's lore and the lore of the demon inside him. (I'd only help by giving you lore really)

10My style as a DM  *DEPRECIATED* Empty Re: My style as a DM *DEPRECIATED* Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:23 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

You are free to give me ideas, but don't expect a module devoted completely to your character any time soon. Theres lots of other people whose characters have been around longer who will get a storyline done with. (Stu, Mots, ect.) And there will be plenty of modules between character story arcs to keep everyone engaged.

So yes, you may give ideas, but it will be quite some time before you actually get a story arc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum