The Old and the New
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Old and the New

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Arcane Dream -- A different DnD like game that I'm creating. * HOLY FUCK DEPRECIATED*

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Exonfang (BANNED)

Exonfang (BANNED)

So I'm in the midst of formulating a new DnD like role playing game, based on magic schools and a unique combat system.

Combat would work different in that only magic exists, no weapons or swords, and both mages cast spells at the same time, they meet halfway, one spell overpowers the other then hits the other mage. The game will have LOTS of lore regarding everything in the universe, and very interesting areas which are limitless.

Here is a preview of how damage and health is represented;

"Lorewise, Health in the Arcane Dream is nonexistent. Characters cannot grow ill by natural causes, however, they can be Cursed which can oftentimes mimic the effects of illness as we know them outside of the Arcane Dream. There is no pain in the Arcane Dream, and because of this, health is represented by how connected your body and spirit are. Health Points are represented by CP or Connective Points."

Did I mention combat will be awesome?

"When two mages enter combat, they lock eyes and are completely and only focused on each other. Their two spirits temporarily link in an unknown way. They cannot do anything but fight to the death or incapacitation."

---

My question is, who would be interested in playing a game like this? I can answer any questions about it.

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

The Arcane Dream -- A different DnD like game that I'm creating. * HOLY FUCK DEPRECIATED* Pedobear_design_black

DID SOMEONE SAY CP?!

I love lore. Sounds fun!

Question1: Do we get to choose incapacitation instead of death?

Question2: Is battle strategic or statistical?

Question3: Are we able to customize our own magic spells, effects, and other devices of torture or do we pick from a selection?

Exonfang (BANNED)

Exonfang (BANNED)

DrewTherrien9 wrote:I love lore. Sounds fun!

Question1: Do we get to choose incapacitation instead of death?

Question2: Is battle strategic or statistical?

Question3: Are we able to customize our own magic spells, effects, and other devices of torture or do we pick from a selection?

1: Somewhat. You play until you've either incapacitated the other player or killed them unless they "tap out" and forfeit. And in that scenario you can still finish the person off. You become incapacitated at 25% of your max CP, and start to die at 10% of CP, at 0% you're full blown dead... sort of. You can come back, but its really complicated.

2: Strategic. Stats only determine what spells you can learn, but don't have much effect on the spells. And even more determined by what spells you can learn is the school or schools you specialize in.

Most of the battle is kind of testing the water, learning what spells they chose to use for that day, and determining from that what spell of yours has the best chance of countering one of their spells. Luck and mind games mostly... but only somewhat. (In the game, you have a large spell book, but at the beginning of every day -- in your own dream actually while you're asleep -- you choose which spells you will use that day, and you can only use those spells that day.) Characters also learn new spells, and level up, by sleeping. (They see themselves casting new spells, and wake up with the ability to cast the spell.)

3: At this point I have not gotten into making spells yet, simply because there will be a massive amount of spells. Though it would be really hard to balance the spells that players make so probably not. Did I mention technology and weapons don't exist? In the dream, all people know are magic, and some items which are powered by the users magic (which are few and far between.)

Wow! Yea I wanna play that!

I didn't mean physical torture devices. I meant spiritual. By device, I meant curse or illusion or something.

Question?: What do you mean mind games? Doesn't everyone have a different game they play?

Exonfang (BANNED)

Exonfang (BANNED)

DrewTherrien9 wrote:Wow! Yea I wanna play that!

I didn't mean physical torture devices. I meant spiritual. By device, I meant curse or illusion or something.

Question?: What do you mean mind games? Doesn't everyone have a different game they play?

Devices do not exist. Torture could be defined as some curses, and curses are the specialties of the Nightmares (The beasts and creatures) and the Shadow school of magic.

Answer: Every time a mage sleeps at night, in their dream they select which spells they will use until they dream again. What this does is it limits you to useing 5-10 different ACTIVE SPELLS that day, though you may know upwards of 25-150 spells. So you have to get a decent variety, as combat is based on counters and overpowering your opponents spells. Over the course of battles you'll get to know your opponents active spells, so you have to select a spell that might counter most of your opponents spells. So what happens is since you both select your spell in secret, then reveal it, you have to hope your spell counters the other, and hope that it isnt countered by your oponent (or if neutral, hope you roll high). So you play mind games on which spells you'll select and which spells your opponent will select. I can explain it better in person at the next meet.

Haha! Well then, answer these!!! Muahahaha!

How many schools can be actively used at once? (say 4?)

What decides how who's spell will prevail? Like element(water&fire?)

Can illusions be cast to utterly disorientate your opponant?

Do some spells only counter or do they only beat the other before attacking?
(If so, can the spells be combined with something else like curses?)

Exonfang (BANNED)

Exonfang (BANNED)

DrewTherrien9 wrote:Haha! Well then, answer these!!! Muahahaha!

How many schools can be actively used at once? (say 4?)

What decides how who's spell will prevail? Like element(water&fire?)

Can illusions be cast to utterly disorientate your opponant?

Do some spells only counter or do they only beat the other before attacking?
(If so, can the spells be combined with something else like curses?)

As many as you'd like assuming you know the spells. You're not limited to different schools (Which there are six schools, separated into two different categories) but by different spells from ANY school. Specialization just opens up more spells for the school you specialize in.

Illusions; At this point there are no illusions.

Spells counter other schools. Ex. Shock spells counter Heat Spells, Heat Spells counter Ice Spells and Ice Spells counter Shock spells. In a separate category, Light spells counter Shadow spells, shadow spells counter blood spells and blood spells counter light spells.

And spells can't be combined with curses because a curse is a different spell.

-- Combat works like this -- both mages cast at the same time, their spells meet halfway, one spell overpowers the other and then that spell strikes the other mage. If neither spell counters, the difference in damage is delt to the mage. If a spell counters though, the spell deals full damage to the mage, instead of the difference.

Spells that debuff the target only require them to hit the target, but they roll with a lower dice, so its more difficult -- but if it counters the opposing mages spell it has 100% chance to work regardless of spell power roll.

(This is really complicated on paper and really easy if I could explain it to you in real life.)

Granny

Granny
Town Lunatic

Ahahaha. Tom.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum