The Old and the New
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Old and the New

You are not connected. Please login or register

Creating your 9th level character

+3
Melkor
That Guy that always Dies
TacticalBacon
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Creating your 9th level character Empty Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Hello, I figured I might as well post a thread explaining everything you should know about creating a mid level character, as there are a few things to keep in mind about creating your character.

First of all, you will not be rolling for your stats. Instead you will be using one of three arrays to decide what stats you will have. Each of these arrays give you 6 numbers which you may apply to any of your abilities, as if you had rolled them. The reason we are using this system instead is because rolling can either end up making an OP character or completely gimping one. This system will make sure everyone is on a level playing field. The arrays you may choose from are as follows:

Standard Ability Scores: 16, 16, 14, 12, 12, 10
Focused Character Scores: 18, 16, 14, 10, 10, 8
Jack of All Trades: 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14

While I am still on ability scores, as you may already know, every 4th level, all characters gain 1 point to any one chosen ability score. Since you are level 9, you will have two points to allocate. Spend them wisely.

Also, please make sure you read over the requirements for your class as well as spell casting, if you make a wizard with only 13 intellect, that's your problem.

Please make sure you understand how prestige classes work before you attempt to take levels in one. If you don't understand how, read up on it or ask.

I'm leaving you to the honor system when it comes to skills and skill points. Do it right, please.

Consider your party make-up. A party of all leather wearers will hardly survive long enough to save the world.

If you have any additional questions, please ask them here.

Also, this was my 1000th forum post.

Wee.

Last edited by TacticalBacon on Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 6:12 pm

What's our current party makeup? I think I'm leaning towards a thief of some sort

3Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Melkor

Melkor

How are we doing hit points? Are we going to actually roll those or do like 3/4 of maximum, rounding up? EX: Fighter, 1d10, gets 7.5 = 8 hp per level plus con modifier. Or something like that.

4Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm

NoodleToes

We'll be rolling hit points at the first meet. Also, a few extra things that he didn't mention up there:

- Weight is going to matter. You can't carry your horse in your pocket, and if you try to, it's going to slow you down.

- Speed will also matter. We have a shiny new map and will be doing quite a bit of travel, so know things like your overland speed per day, per turn, per hour, etc.

- Spell components are a thing, and they start getting expensive and important in these levels, so keep that in mind. Casters, be aware that there is an item in the Player's Handbook II called the spell component pouch that is assumed to contain most basic components, but you do need to have it in your inventory to use it.

Also consider checking out the Player's Handbook II and any relevant supplements for your character (if you don't have the supplements, talk to me or Tom). They're full of lots of new, handy spells and feats, and lots of advice about creating a character that's not boring as shit. Putting some effort into your personality, moral code, and backstory is going to make for a much more interesting game.

5Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Dealing with items and equipment will have to happen at the first meet. It will take a good deal of time to complete.

6Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Also, when you know what class you are going to be, tell me. It will speed things a long very much for me. Just make sure you are absolutely 100% sure of your choice. If you are multi-classing, tell me what your classes are.

7Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

What if I want to multiclass in every class? Just have a character that touches all the grounds of every class.

8Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 am

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

You could, but you would be essentially a level 1 with a lot of hit points. Not very good for the party.

9Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

I would like to revise my statement about item buying. We will not have to do it at the first meet but you MUST send me your character build when you have it solidified. I just need what classes you have and how many levels you have in each. Send me and message and I will give you info about what to do.

Also, remember that characters, no matter the class, gain feats every 3 levels. So if you are a non-human, you have a base of 3 feats in addition to any bonus feats. Humans have a base of 4. Fun fun.

10Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 pm

NoodleToes

Vedrick wrote:What if I want to multiclass in every class? Just have a character that touches all the grounds of every class.

You could, however, take a few levels as a bard and gain bardic knack instead of bardic knowledge. It's a handy little thing that lets you use 1/2 your bard level as a bonus to any skill check, even trained only.

11Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Wed May 09, 2012 12:13 am

Kiryan

Kiryan

Do items that we need to buy include provisions, or will we need to purchase those separately?

Nevermind. Found the answer. I'm silly.

12Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 am

Kiryan

Kiryan

Sigh. So many questions. If we have gold left over, will we have to count that in our weight totals?

13Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Okay, new update time.

To answer the gold question, your gold will not count against your weight unless it is in absurd amounts (Over 10,000 coins). That may seem small, but keep in mind that gold is not the only way to measure wealth, platinum pieces are a common form of currency worth 10 gold each. There are gems worth many hundreds of gold as well. So don't worry about not getting your fill of gold.

Secondly, thank you to many of you for sending me your class builds. I am seeing lots of classes from supplemental books, and while I am very knowledgeable, I don't know everything about all classes. This means be the expert on your class(es), if I ask you a question about a certain ability or spell you attempt to use, you should know exactly what it does. Also be sure to read up on multi-classing in full, as I will be using all the standard multi-class rules. If you find you don't like your current setup after reading these rules, you may change your setup, but do so quickly. I may or may not give you a different starting item.

I would like to reiterate that you should most certainly read the Adventuring chapter in the PHB 1. I will be using all the rules within the chapter for your traveling and adventures. I also highly recommend reading all of the Combat chapter. I will NOT be using combat tiles and squares for combat, but I WILL be using all the rules regarding attacks of opportunity, grappling, tripping, charging, disarming, and readying. Read up on it and you'll open a new array of combat tactics for you.

14Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Thu May 10, 2012 12:40 pm

LtBlaze

LtBlaze
Smartass Thief

I'll try and figure out the details later tonight but I'm pretty set on a dwarven fighter

15Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Thu May 10, 2012 4:16 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Well, when you're certain, send me a message with your class setup as well as what you think you want your role to be.

16Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Thu May 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

Hey Tom, on the table under Base Attack Bonus, what does it mean when it says "+6/+1" I understand the +6 is the base attack bonus but what does the +1 mean?

17Creating your 9th level character Empty Re: Creating your 9th level character Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

When a character gains a +6 base attack bonus, they gain a second attack. That /+1 is the attack bonus for your second attack.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum