The Old and the New
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Old and the New

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED*

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:03 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

This is a global announcement again simply because it is worth remembering. Furthermore, there has been discussion about altering a few of the point to address some issues that have been encountered.
Any rules that are to be altered or highlighted as important to remember will be in red. Any notes added as of 4/11/2012 will also be in red.

Alrighty, there are a few things I've noticed that happen at meets that kinda bother me and from what I've noticed quite a few people. So I'll post a sort of Code of Conduct here. At least for any meets I will be hosting or DMing in the future.

1. BRING MONEY. No, seriously. Too many times me and a few other specific people have foot the bill for the pizza. If you don't chip in, you don't eat. At least two bucks, that all I ask. None of this "But I don't have any money" stuff either. You can get two dollars, scrounge some coins, ask your parents, whatever. Get it. On the off chance you absolutely can't get two dollars, eat before you come to the meet. Also, I drive, but I'm not the pizza delivery guy. Other people have also got to pick up the torch every once and a while and go get it.

And yes, if someone pays two dollars and someone else pays three, and theres only one slice left, guess who gets it?

2. Actually play. If you don't want to play tonight, then don't come. Unless you are fully committed to participating in the module until its end, and I mean actually being active in everything, don't show up. It's very annoying to have the same people be all "Whats been going on?" every time their turn rolls around. Pay attention. Don't go off and do homework or watch tv or sleep or whatever. You came to play a game with other people, don't blow them off. I will not be as forgiving in the future, if you don't pay attention then you'll just have to run blind into a situation and probably die, just like real life. Head up, eyes forward.
2b. Its called a turn, not an Ice Age. Side note, part of being active is thinking of your moves BEFORE your turn rolls around. If you spend 5 minutes on your turn, you're doing it wrong.

3. Bring yourself, and only yourself. I don't want you to bring all of your friends who weren't invited into my or anyone else's house. Uninvited guests are not fun to deal with. Just don't bring them, its as simple as that. If you want to bring you friend, ask me or whoever is hosting the meet and they will most likely say "Sure, go for it".

4. Yes or no? I give you a date, you tell me if you can make it. Clean and simple. If you say "Maybe", that means "I'll have an answer for you BEFORE the day of the meet". I like to know who is showing up and how many people I have to deal with. Get that info to me ASAP. I don't like expecting 14 people, then only getting 4.

5. Shit happens. Your character will inevitably die. It may be tomorrow, or 10 years from now. You never know. If your character is killed by any means, don't flip shit. No one is out to get you, there is no conspiracy, people don't have harsh feelings toward you. It was one of three things; dumb luck, your own stupidity, or the stupidity of another player. Don't let a silly table-top game ruin real life relationships. If your character dies, suck it up and try again. I am always fair, I will always roll the dice, and I will never cheat your characters into death.

5b. Shit happens FOR A REASON. If you want to do something that harms another player, you need a reason. If you have a real world problem with someone, you cannot bring that into the game. If a player has wronged your character in game, and your character is fully aware of how they have been wronged, then you may seek revenge. The revenge is anything that is within your characters emotional and physical power to do. You have to deal with the consequences of your actions, though. I will not protect you. The DM ALWAYS has the final say on if a reason is valid or not, if you want to make a case for your actions, you are free to do so, but the DM will ultimately decide. This one is important to remember. And remember that PvP must have a CURRENT reason. As in, a reason that has occurred in game, you cannot make up a reason that happened before the adventure started. Also, I would encourage not doing the whole "assassination in the night" bullshit. It's just annoying to everyone involved and even more-so to those who are not.

6. Lighten up. We don't need to be stoic dungeon goers all the time. Crack a few jokes, do something funny or stupid (So long as it doesn't endanger others), make people laugh. Its just a game; play it.

7. Suggest, don't control. If you have an idea, pull me aside and tell me. I'm not going to laugh at you. Don't go off on some tangent and derail the whole story because you want something to go your way. You are not the DM, you do not control the story. I do my best to work everything I can to appeal to everyone, if I'm not doing something you want, tell me. Don't try to take control; trust me, its a losing battle.

8. Help me out. While you can't control what happens in the meet, you can still make things progress however you like. If you notice the module has stagnated and no one is going anywhere or doing anything to get us towards the end, do something (That does not involve something wild that only the DM could do) that you think will put us on the right track. Time spent just sitting there going "I dunno, what do you want to do" is really, really boring for everyone. Lets try our best to cut it down.

9. Simplicity. This is not a rule, just something to consider when making a character. If you start with a simple character of a simple class, it is a lot more fun for everyone. The races and classes covered in the players handbook give you tons of options to make a unique character while also making your character easy to manage. When the DM has no clue what in the hell you're talking about, it slows the game down and frustrates everyone. Let your character's travels shape him or her, not his back story. For example, I have had my Dwarf wizard, Stu, for my entire D&D career. A simple class and a simple race, but over the years he has built up quite an interesting tale as well as interesting powers.

10. God can't play. General rule, but a simple reminder can't hurt, the DM simply cannot bring his character to the module unless only to serve as a 100% NON-COMBATANT guide.

For now, thats all I have, I may add more if something new comes up. If you have any ideas, feel free to post them. I don't think these are too harsh or excessive, do you?

I know I missed some of the things we discussed the other night, so just add them to the list and be sure to color them red. If you aren't an admin, then just post a reply.

Last edited by TacticalBacon on Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm; edited 11 times in total

2Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Vedrick

Vedrick
Sexy Beast

I'm glad someone finally put this up, maybe now people will recognize it a little more.

3Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:28 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

Update 11/12/2010 5:26 P.M.

Added a new sub rule, 5b. Go look at it.

Also, I'll be posting these messages every time I update so that people will see them, because I'm pretty sure editing a post doesn't make the new post icon appear.

4Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

New rule 11/13/2010.

Rule 8. Not much of a rule, just a suggestion, really.

5Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Granny

Granny
Town Lunatic

Bravo

6Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Lakota

Lakota

So I wouldn't be able to come to a meet just to hang out and watch people play? :I

I probably won't really be attending any more, it's just not really fun for me.

http://neonslushie.deviantart.com

7Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

You can still come to watch, these rules really only apply if you want to play. I have nothing against just watching, though. Just specify that you want to come to watch and it'll all be cool.

8Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Lakota

Lakota

well then that's probably all I'll do from now on
I have difficulty paying attention
and difficulty role playing.

http://neonslushie.deviantart.com

9Meet Code of Conduct.  *EDITED* Empty Re: Meet Code of Conduct. *EDITED* Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:12 pm

TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon
Resident Drunk
Resident Drunk

This shit was edited. I don't think it shows a new post for edits, so I'm posting to make people look.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum